Despite what my friends may think, I am what you’d call an avid baker. Well, maybe I should rephrase that. I am a person who spends a lot of her spare time attempting to bake. But more often than not, I found my self in a position where I have to give my baking scraps to my lovely dog Sam.
Below is a recipe that I believe is a non-fail one, and I say this because I have made it many times (even changing the ingredients occasionally) and it’s never failed to turn out mouth-wateringly delicious.
Edmonds created a mini pamphlet on gluten free baking when they released their gluten free flour and this was my top recipe from it. You can easily swap gluten free flour out for normal flour, or add in things like almonds instead of walnuts. Nut free is also a delightful option. I tend to stay away from the coffee when sharing with children.
Try out the recipe below and let us know what you think!
Time: 20 mins prep + 40 mins baking
- 250 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 180 g butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups Edmonds Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Grease and line a 22x22cm square slice pan with baking paper, allowing paper to overhang the edges of the pan.
- Melt chocolate, butter, coffee and water in a saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Combine sifted flour, cocoa, sugar, walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Add chocolate mixture and eggs, then stir well. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before using the overhanging baking paper to lift out onto a wire cooling rack. Once cool cut into 20 slices. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
For more recipes and inspiration check out www.edmondscooking.co.nz
Belle is a photographer, nanny, webmaster and administrator. A woman of many talents! She also contributes to our Grace Collective core team, taking photos at our events and creating our on-table activities.